Monday, July 23, 2012

Week in review: Half Marathon Training Week 2

It's been a little while since my last blog post. It is not for lack of running just the lack of anything of interest to say really. Life has been pretty busy. And I have been working really hard to be flexible with my running schedule. I've had to shift runs around according to my family's needs. I'm not going to lie, it's been annoying. But I am proud to say I hit my mileage last week despite all of the disruptions.

Monday: Rest day. I handled this like a champ.

Tuesday: 3 miles + Strides. Missed this run because I had to take Brent to pick up his car from the mechanic.

Wednesday: Rest day/Strength. I moved Tuesday's run to Wednesday and dabbled for the first time in speedwork. I ran my usual 3 mile pre-work route but every so often added in 30 second bursts of speed. It was fun, but I learned a few things - namely, do not group your speed bursts all in the beginning of the workout if you want to have energy for the end. Rookie mistake duly noted.

Thursday: Speed work (10 min WU; 6x30sec at Zone 4 with 1 min recovery; 10 min CD) I warmed up for a mile at 10:40 pace then hit the intervals, which went a little like this:
9:51
8:19
7:58
7:53
8:33
7:34
I was able to manage a slow recovery run after the first 2 intervals, but after that, recovery slowed to a fast walk. After a cool down (1.2 miles at 11:30) I was done my first true speed session. Conclusion: Speed work is kind of fun!

Do I look any faster?


Friday: Rest. Done and done.

Saturday: 3 miles. I only made it 2.6 miles. I wasn't able to get out until mid day and by that time it was just too hot.

Sunday: 7 miles. Nailed it! I was a little nervous about this run because last week's 6 miler took everything I had and I wasn't sure how I was going to add another mile onto that this week. But the weather cooperated. It was 70, overcast and misty. I felt really strong during this run and had a good time.

And also the post run cupcakes.

All in all I am pretty please with this week. My only major complaint is the lack of any strength/core work. I will have to rectify that this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment