Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Regaining my mojo!

I was all set to post last week about a couple of great 3+ mile runs I logged. I feel like I am finally getting back into the three mile runs. I have been having more success slowing the pace from 9:30 to 10:00 so I can maintain the longer distances. But then came two runs over the weekend and I felt like I was right back at the beginning. I set out both days to log 3 miles and ended up at 2.5miles each with multiple stops in each run. The difference was the time of day and with that the weather and humidity. When I run on the weekends I have to wait until 10:30am to take my 1 hour break. On both days, by 10:30 the temperature was anywhere from 90-95 degrees with high humidity. After about a mile or so I had nothing to give. On Saturday I was through an entire bottle of water at the halfway point. Luckily I was able to find a sink nearby for a re-fill. The thoughts about not being ready to train for the half came sneaking back even though I knew that the weather was mostly to blame for the horrendous runs.

Then this morning I set out at 7am. 75 degrees and moderate humidity and logged my longest run since I started running again - 4.75 miles! I felt pretty good throughout albeit a little sore afterwards. If I can keep this up for the next couple of weeks I feel really confident that I can use a beginner training plan for the race in October!

No comments:

Post a Comment