Monday, March 12, 2012

Learning to be flexible and finding balance

Right now I am sitting here in workout clothes I put on 3 hours ago for a spinning class I never made. There's cornstarch on my shirt. I had to brush aside a thermometer to reach the keyboard.

I recently returned to full time work after being home with my kids for the better part of the last four years. Learning to balance work and home was challenging enough. Now add running into the mix. It's becoming a challenge. One that I am coming to realize that I am going to have to make sacrifices for. And adapt to situations out of my normal comfort zone.

Training for the half last year I did most of my runs in the mornings. This time around I am learning to run at any time of the day. Mornings before work. Lunch time (maybe, still trying to make this one work). After work. And tonight, after bedtime. I am going to have to fit it in whenever I can. Thank God for Tivo.

Adapting to ever changing situations is going to be key. I was planning on going to spin class tonight. Brent was held up at work and didn't make it home in time. Sure I was pretty upset, but sulking over it isn't going to get my ass in shape. Adapt. Make dinner. Put the kids to bed. Go to the gym for a late night three miler.

Even if it is the last thing I thought I would be doing tonight. I'm tired. Morgan was up in the middle of the night with a fever. Three people in our bed was hardly ideal. But, no excuses...

In the meantime I am loving reading other running blogs for inspiration and great tips on how to fit it all into 24 hours a day.

Off to the gym...

No comments:

Post a Comment